What is Google Drive?
Think of Google Drive as your personal stash of files and folders that follows you wherever you go - it lets you keep everything and share anything. With Google Drive, you can access files, folders, and Google Docs from a web browser or any device where you've installed your Google Drive.
Your Google Drive is in the cloud, but you can also install the desktop and mobile application to access your files from your computer, smartphone, tablet, or other Android or iOS mobile device, in addition to the online interface at drive.google.com. Google Drive's built-in sync capability ensures that your files, folders, and Google Docs are the same on all your devices.
How do I try out Google Drive?
- Visit Google Drive on the web atdrive.google.com.
- Download and install the Google Drive for your Mac/PC application. This lets you sync files from your hard drive to Google Drive on the web, giving you access to your files on any device, at any time.
- [Optional] If you'd like to access your Google Drive contents on your Android or iOS device, see Google Drive on a mobile device.
How is the Google Drive online interface different from my current Google Documents List?
The Google Drive online interface looks similar to the Google Documents List you're used to, with a few key differences:
Collections are now called Folders.
When you first switch to Google Drive, a new folder called My Drive contains:
- Documents that you own or have previously uploaded
- Folders you own and the items contained within (regardless of ownership)
Note only items contained in My Drive are synced to your computer and other devices. If you want to sync items from Google Drive on the web that aren't contained in My Drive by default, just drag them to My Drive.
Other items that would have previously appeared in the Home view can easily be found elsewhere. You can choose different views and filters to see recently opened documents, starred items, documents that have been shared with you, items owned by a particular person, files of a particular type, and more.
You'll have powerful new options to search, sort, or preview your files before opening them.
See the Google Drive user help to learn more about Google Drive versus your Documents List, and how to navigate your Google Drive online interface.
Where can I get more information?
To get started with Google Drive, visit the Google Apps Learning Center.