Sign up for a Free 30 Day Trial of G Suite Business and get Free Admin support from Google Certified Deployment Specialists.
This post will look at the effect on Google Calendars, Tasks and Reminders from migrating a whole G Suite domain from one primary domain to another. Companies and organizations want to manage their G Suite domains in a single account. Currently, in 2019, the only way to do that is migrate the entire domain from one G Suite Account to the next.
We’re using ‘The Cloud Migrator’ from CTS, a Google Cloud Premier Partner out of the UK. The software is the most popular for G Suite to G Suite migrations because of its extensive configuration options. Here are the key features of a Calendar Migration from The Cloud Migrator.
- Main Calendar
- All G Suite calendar appointments, and recurring appointments are migrated to the new G Suite domain. There are some discrepancies if you attach both a meeting link and a file to the appointment. Reminders and Appointment Slots do not migrate.
- Secondary Calendars
- Secondary G Suite calendars are migrated to the new G Suite domain with the same rules about attachments, meetings, reminders and appointment slots above.
- G Suite tasks are migrated to the new G Suite domain. These are different from Reminders which will show on the calendar.
- G Suite appointment attendees are migrated and distributed to everybody invited to an appointment in the new G Suite domain
- Date Ranges
- Filter which G Suite calendars, tasks and resources are migrated to the new G Suite domain by setting a date range
- G Suite appointment reminder settings are migrated to the new G Suite domain. Reminder settings, not the actual reminders.
- Shared Calendar Rights
- G Suite shared calendar rights are migrated to the new G Suite domain provided the G Suite user exists
- Out of Office
- G Suite out of office settings are migrated to the new G Suite domain
G Suite Calendar Source Side Settings:
Migrate Hangout links within appointments
There's one important setting when coming from G Suite, The Hangouts Meet links. Fortunately, CloudMigrator will copy and paste the original meeting link into the body of the appointment.
The Meeting link is not in its usual spot - Cloud Migrator Pro will take the meeting link and paste it into the body of the message. Dial-in Numbers are NOT migrated and new meeting links (if set at destination) are not created.
G Suite Calendar Destination Side Settings:
Force acceptance of all migrated appointments.
CloudMigrator Pro recommends to set this to true to force all appointment recipients' attendance as confirmed. If you do set this, someone who has not confirmed will show up as confirmed.
Set the privacy of migrated appointments to the following setting. You can choose from Original, Default (Destination), Private or Public.
Maximum Appointment Attendees:
Default Calendar Timezone
Send Individual Events
Color Categorized Appointments
Attachment Doc Sharing:
Notes for Migrating Resources to G Suite
When migrating resources, only appointments are migrated to the resource within G Suite. When creating a resource only ‘Resource Name’ needs to be provided, ‘Resource Description’ is optional, and ‘Password’ is not relevant.
When a resource is migrated using the CloudMigrator then the ‘Import Name’ becomes the resource ID within G Suite. If resources have been pre-created in G Suite then the resource ID should be extracted from G Suite and specified for the ‘Import Name’. Resource IDs can be found in the G Suite control panel by clicking on a resource name. The ID required is specified in the control panel as ‘Resource identifier’.
When resources have been created, they will be allocated an email address, also available from the control panel. This email address allows the resource’s calendar to be added to other user’s calendar lists. Resources can be manipulated in the user list, including importing and exporting in the same way users can.
Here's some G Suite Calendar Migration Recommendations:
- Create all users and groups first - migrate contacts
- Create all of the resources in the destination, and note the resource email addresses
- Specify all the source resource email address or names as the ‘Match’ and the destination resources email addresses as the ‘Replacement’.
Specific G Suite Calendar Migration Exception Examples:
The following items and features, included in G Suite Calendar, do not migrate to a new domain as you would expect.
G Suite Recurring Appointments with Meeting Links and Attachments
If a recurring appointment has both a meeting link and a Google Drive attachment, then the attachment will NOT migrate.
Reminders do NOT migrate at all. Some folks confuse these with Tasks, which do migrate.
Appointment Slots do NOT migrate at all.
Final Notes on Migrating G Suite Calendars.
Cloudmigrator Pro provides many options for migrating Google Calendars from one G Suite account/domain to another. We recommend users with a particular interest in their calendars to take note and check all recurring appointments and pre-print your agenda and reminders, so you have a backup.
- Take Note of Recurring Appointments - Cleanup post migration as needed.
- Print out Reminders and re-enter through Google Calendar or Assistant.
- Disable Notifications to the point that you can.